Play With My Box

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Top Gamespot Reader Review Cliches

Pick any game and scan through the reader reviews. You will notice a certain pattern to the title headings:
"Instant Classic"
"Immersive"
"Masterpiece"
"Highly Addictive"
"Amazing"
"Just Plain Fun"
"Rocks"

And my personal favourite:
"All it's cracked up to be"

Negative reviews tend towards the following taglines:
"Mixed reactions"
"Rent it first"
"Don't believe the hype"
"Almost, but not quite"
"Overrated"
"Been there, done that"

You'd think they have a phrase generator churning out these headings with such regularity.

4 Comments:

At 9:30 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to try and use all of these in my next review :)

 
At 11:42 a.m., Blogger Taylor M said...

Since sarcasm is a tough cookie to crack in the written word, I thought I would just clarify that they do have a pre-generated list of titles.

 
At 3:19 p.m., Blogger Clinton said...

Thanks Taylor, that would explain a lot and it makes sense considering the eerie recurrences of these titles.

It also totally deflates the sarcastic impact of my post. Moving on... :p

 
At 11:14 a.m., Blogger Taylor M said...

No problem. When looking at the quality of most reader reviews out there, headings like "Rocks", and "All it's cracked up to be", don't look at all out of place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home