Play With My Box

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Terrorist Hunt Still a Challenge

It was another sleepless night of Rainbow Six: Vegas (R6) with Heero as we hammered away at Terrorist Hunt. Out of our dozens of matches, we emerged victorious twice. The first win came after several unsuccessful runs of Kill House. I grew tired of getting picked off by stragglers catching us unaware from behind so I suggested that we camp out near the initial spawn point and lure the baddies to us. On previous attempts that first wave of enemies always went so smoothly: I'd park myself at the corner of the first building, covering the alleyway and fast rope while Heero would circulate between shotgunning guys rushinig down the stairs or through the opposite alley. Things would quickly fall apart as we ventured further into the map, however, as we'd get to some magical moment when we'd engage a mob of terrorists in an area accessible by multiple entry points. A lone enemy would find his way through a route we'd already taken, get around us and shoot us both in the back.

I figured we could expand on our winning formula and turn the tables on the overwhelming odds stacked against us. Our camping tactic worked beautifully. It didn't take long for piles of bodies to gather around my assigned alley. The soler remaining terrorist, not taking notice of the blood-splattered death trap, valiantly rushed my fortified position only to be cut down with manic glee by my rifle-scoped MP9.

Our second victory didn't require much of my input, as I was gunned down early in the game attempting to foolishly escape a frag grenade by running TOWARDS the sender, out into the open Dantes courtyard FILLED WITH ENEMY SOLDIERS. Heero, against all odds, went on to eliminate the remaining 20+ terrorists single-handedly. Times like this I wish Ubisoft Montreal had coded in a replay feature into online play, not unlike the replays you get now in very modern car racing game. Heero's heated firefight in one of Dantes' tight construction zones is the stuff of highlight reels. Taken out of the match so early, I had decided to phone my father and hardly registered the intensity of the game during my conversation. I honestly did not expect Heero to survive beyond the 5-minute duration of my phone call. Yet there he was, frantically loading shells into his M870, dodging 'nades and stubbornly refusing to die.

I sat there, mesmerized, and started to offer up some play-by-play advice/commentary, which was promptly greeted with a breathless, "Shut up, man... I'm freaking out here!". Ah Heero, you lost your cool but you pulled through anyway. The last terrorist didn't put up much of a fight, sort of stumbling around in the smoke, taking cover just outside Heero's makeshift bunker then hobbling away in the opposite direction. His ass was promptly perforated with a load of buckshot.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home